Monday, 23 February 2015

The start of my journey

I haven't written a post in a long time. So much has happened in the last few months and I finally have found the time to document it. 


So, as some of you may know, in October I came to Egypt for the usual month-long holiday. But when it came time to leave I chose to miss my flight and stay here.

The last four months have been absolutely life changing.

For me, the idea of moving to Egypt was an escape. It was the easiest way I knew to start something new for myself. I never for a second thought it would be easy but it's definitely been more challenging than I could have ever imagined.

During the first month after my mum left, I struggled to find a job: relying only on the money I'd saved in my last few months in England. I was in an unhealthy relationship that came to a disastrous end after a few short weeks. I had a flatmate, a good friend of mine at the time, and although I struggled and grew homesick (to a point where I nearly went home) as the month came to a close, I still had the support of my friends here and decided not to give up.

   The beginning of December brought the start of a new relationship and a job. Although temporary, the job was welcomed with a sigh of relief. I worked in a bar through Christmas and New Years but was glad of the experience. It also helped me overcome my anxieties concerning the general public and possible language barriers that come with living in a foreign country. 

In January I made a big step into adulthood; I moved in with my boyfriend. You may be thinking "Isn't it a little too soon for such a commitment?" Well yes, perhaps that's right. But at the time we were both short of money and needed somewhere to live so it was just more convenient. But we also wanted space to be together which was difficult considering I had a flatmate and my boyfriend lived in the middle of nowhere. 

At the end of January my parents came to visit, Graeme only came for the week but Mother is still here. After two weeks of Mum being here and being in the new apartment, we were told that the owner had sold our apartment and we had five days to find a new place a move out. Super stressful but we made it, and we're settled in the new one now. Even if we're living out of boxes till we get more furniture.

At the end of the day, me living in Egypt was never going to be permanent and it was, in no sense of the word, easy. Being an anxious person, I was bound to have days where I did nothing but cry for home and familiarity. But I do not regret making the choice. I have met some amazing people, I've grown as a person more than I could ever have hoped to. And last but by no means least, I fell in love. He's an absolute idiot but he's sweet and I'm lucky to have him :)

I know this is only the beginning for me and I'm excited to see where the world will take me.

 I'm going to be posting more now that I've finally started to settle. 
Thank you for reading guys. 
Rhiannon xox














1 comment:

  1. Lovely to see how you are getting on in Egypt and how life is treating you.make sure you look after yourself and take care.miss you loads.mummy number 2 x x x x

    ReplyDelete